Welcome, and thanks for visiting. I have to keep my creative juices flowing, so these are some of my creations!
If you are a miniature or fairy garden enthusiast, like I am, please visit my Facebook page, Away With The Fairies, for ideas and inspiration.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bits and pieces

It's cooling down here at night, although the days have been sunny and bright and we're still waiting patiently (well, not so patiently on M's part!) for rain. Only a few veges ticking over in the garden, and we've just eaten the last of our watermelons. Very sad. They were so delicious.
On the animal front: Boris brought in his first mouse the other night and kindly let it go on our bed! He's obviously been watching my snide posts here about him only being able to catch computer mice (pic a few posts ago below)! I woke with M turning on the light, pulling all the bedclothes off me, and Boris jumping around like a kitten (and not his usual 8.5 kgs lazy self). Said mouse was quickly located by M between the duvet and the top sheet, and let go to live another day (unless one of the other cats gets lucky!). Apparently M had woken up with the mouse running up his leg! Boris was so proud! Go Boris! The wild ducks are returning to our ponds for the winter and spring breeding. They fight and bicker over nesting sites for the next 3 months. Quite a noisy process, especially when it's meant to be so quiet and peaceful here in the early mornings! The swallows who nest on our deck haven't left for the winter yet, but after raising 3 broods this summer they're probably too exhausted to fly anywhere. Our resident heron and her baby are still around, and with the water levels in our ponds so low because of the drought, they're finding easy pickings of eels and frogs and other bugs around the edges. The beautiful blue kingfishers have returned from wherever it is that they go to for a few months over summer. They're spectacular birds and it's so nice to hear their call again. They love it when M mows the lawns on the ride-on mower and swoop down behind him to see what treats have been brought to the surface, although with so little rain the lawn's looking more like the Gobi Desert at the moment.
Anyway, here are some cards I've made recently. Just playing with a couple of challenges to get my mojo working. It's been a bit slack lately! Isn't this little bird brad cute?
This one is for the WPlus9 colour challenge. I found it very difficult to combine these colours and am still not happy with the result.
This next one is for the Inchie Inkling challenge on Ellen Hutson's blog.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

13 comments:

  1. LOVELY cards!!! And I really enjoyed the story on the cat and mouse in the the bed!! How funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely cards, I love your story of the happenings on your little farm. Warm wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a great eye for design. Stunningly simple and elegant - as ever. Sorry about the cat and the mouse - that's what you get for keeping cats, lol. Great to hear about the bird life. Over here, kingfishers are shy birds and don't come near us but they are one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tilly, I love your stories and your creations and these are no exception. They are gorgeous and even though you think colors not happy together I think they are beautiful.... love your Inchie Inkling....

    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful story along with some beautifully made cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tilly, you are CRACKING me up! I just went on a lovely visual journey, with you as my guide! Such fun! Thanks for that beautiful tour of the antics in your world... Happy and WONDERFUL + hilarious, and WAIT - you've made cards, too! Good for you! I hope you'll learn to feel better about the card you've made for Dawn's Color Cue, because I fine it smashing! That playful frilled edge and perfectly festooned stamping is divine! All of these cards are successful - looks to me like creative time, extremely well spent! So glad to meet you, via Dawn's color challenge! Enjoy your sweet little life, way down under! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps a little Camelot compromise would work for you and M with rain falling only while you sleep. Love the way you worked the gray in your inchie card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, thanks for sharing. Glad you started blogging you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love your interpretation and the way you wove all of the bird images together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cards! Love that little bird brad and your take on the inchies sketch looks fab, love those different birdy images on there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love how you pulled these colors together! Simply wonderful, the frilled edges and the pearls are perfect.

    Oh and a mouse in the bed?! I would have fainted!

    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great cards, I love the bird brad and your inchie card is super.
    So nice to read about your life so far away. Here we have the door open because we have some lovely spring weather. My DH is mowing the lawn at the moment and our dog is helping by attacking it!
    Have a good day.
    Eveline.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your bird themed card, so very artistic!

    ReplyDelete