Welcome, and thanks for visiting. I have to keep my creative juices flowing, so these are some of my creations!
If you are a miniature or fairy garden enthusiast, like I am, please visit my Facebook page, Away With The Fairies, for ideas and inspiration.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Hop on over ... it's Blog Hop time again

Welcome to another great Blog Hop. 
Start here on the Really Reasonable Ribbon blog right now and hop along with us to see what wonderful creations the Design Team have come up with this month using the gorgeous December Ribbon Club assortment.  Can't you just smell the hot chocolate (or in my case, coffee)? 
You probably arrived here from True's blog.  I hope so.  Didn't you just love her ideas?  After you've taken a look at this rather cute (even if I say so myself!) little gift idea from me below, I hope you'll hop on over to Erika's blog to feast your eyes there as well, and then you'll realize that you just HAVE to have this month's Ribbon Club offering that Bonnie has put together for us ribbon-a-holics.
So, here's my gift for you to make for your "always on the go" coffee-loving friends (or yourself).




To make this "to go" coffee mug cozy, grab a paper mug sleeve from your favorite coffee shop and trace the shape of it (without the tags - just the main body of the sleeve) twice onto a piece of felt, using a fabric pen or chalk. Trim around the edges leaving a generous 1/4" seam allowance.  Lay your ribbons over the back side of one of the pieces of felt and pin them in place (the ribbons can go either horizontally or vertically), then sew them down the edges with either a zigzag or straight stitch.  (This can of course be done by hand if you don't have a sewing machine handy.)  Pin this beribboned felt shape to the other felt shape, right sides together.  On one of the short ends insert a folded piece of thin elastic, forming a loop on the inside, with the 2 ends sticking out where you can see them.  (Hope this makes sense?)  Pin the elastic in place, and sew the two bits together around the edges, leaving a gap of about 3" to 4" along the bottom.  Turn inside out through this gap and push out the corners from within, using a blunt pencil or bone scorer, not something sharp that will pierce the fabric.  Smooth out the creases and flatten the edges with your fingers.  You still with me?  Now sew all around the edge on the outside to hold everything even and also to close the gap where you turned it inside out.  The loop of elastic should be sitting happily in place at one end (I hope!).  Wrap the cozy around a mug to find the best position for placement of the button around which the loop of elastic will go, sew the button in place, and there you have it .....! (Note:  The mug I've used in the pic is a big size, but the sleeve I traced out was smaller, so make allowances for the mug size when you cut your felt pattern.) Make a card in the same theme and colors, and print or write out this verse to go inside the card:

You love your morning fix, I know,
So here's a handy gift "to go".
No more burned hands from scalding mugs,
It's my gift to you, with great big hugs!

OK, so I'm not Shakespeare, but it's the best I could do today!

I hope you enjoyed your hop today and found lots of inspiration to keep you busy over the holidays.  Have fun, and don't forget to come back on 13 January for more great ideas on the Really Reasonable Ribbon Blog Hop, and pop in to the the shop for the latest ribbon offerings from the wonderful Bonnie.
P.S.  DH says if you don't drink coffee you can use the cozy as a bracelet!  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ...


49 comments:

  1. What a great project Tilly. I would never have thought of this. Wonderful gift idea for Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing! "Hugs" Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great project. Thanks for the tip and the clear tutorial!

    Hugs, Jolita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet cozy Tilly!
    I love your little poem for the gift card too!
    Hugs,
    True :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project. Love the mug cozy and the poem is great too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute DH comment...Love the cozy tho..I am a big coffee drinker..so that would be a lovely gift to receive!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a neat idea, I could use one of the cozies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea! I love this and have many friends who would too!!!

    Melissa
    www.disneydreamerdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, this is way too clever! I love what you created!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really great, a nice different idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable gift! Anyone would love to get it! Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous idea and I just love your little poem!! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a great idea! And would make fabulous little gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really lovely idea Tilly, and not bad a poem either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your cozy idea...I am going to make some of these for friends. It looks like a great way to use up all those scraps of ribbon that you save.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is a awesome idea sweetie
    but i don't drink coffee in my car
    i just love the set you've made
    hugs angelique

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice Idea and love your little poem!! Great Card as well!! TFS!!!
    ilovetonkinese2athotmaildotcom
    http://ibecircled.blogspot.com
    Rexann

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun idea and great gift, Tilly! You are so creative, and I think your poem is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tilly I LOVE your idea for the coffee holder, what an awesome idea hun! and this would make a great gift too!!! Love your card tooo :) Hope you have a nice day!
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing! AJ - aj_822atyahoodotcom.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great project, what a fabulous idea. Merry Chrismtas Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this idea and what a fab showcase for the ribbons too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your project and what a lovely ribbon hop!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful idea Tilly! I love it! TFS :)
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Finally found another NZ blogger. Great holder Tilly, and your card is awesome.
    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a fabulous project with all those ribbons
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Tilly!
    Such a fantastic and creative idea! Lovely ;)

    Lots of love, Randi WS

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this idea. Super cute and yeah it would make a cute cuff bracelet. Thanks for sharing. I know quite a few people who would love this. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG I love this idea waht a great way to use up scraps and you could wear it to till you get your next fix :)
    thanks for sharing this idea
    hugs Nikki C

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is totally cool and I LOVE it! You are so original to use the ribbons on this project...at first I thought it was material...oh my gosh, this is fantastic! Such yummmmmy chocolate colors to go with coffee...or cocoa! Thanks for the fabulous inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Clever project. I liked your poem too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Super cool! The colors are just perfect for this practical AND pretty project. I LOVE it! You let me know when you start taking orders because I have a few folks that would LOVE one of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I totally thought your first post was the hop, cuz I was so excited to say something about it, then I scrolled down to this masterpiece!! Woops! This is fantasic! a perfect burn protector!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a creative and very useful gift this would make... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ok, I have to confess, this is my favorite item on the hop so ar! I just adore what you've done with the ribbons, and I quite like the little poem! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sweet cosy and lovely card hugs judex

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous cards and I love the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great ribbon mug cozy and card. Adorable grandson. Have a very Merry Christmas.
    God bless,
    Peggy Allen

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great idea, love your use of the ribbons. You are so creative.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  39. I need one of these coffee "cozies" Tilly. This idea is AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. really nice. liking what you did with the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Incredibly great idea! Great job! Hugs...Mona

    ReplyDelete
  42. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! A card and a Cozy...can't get any better than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tilly, this is such an awesome project! Your creativity always amazes me. I love the card and poem that goes with it too. Tell hubby that I can absolutely see this as a bracelet too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful work! Love the idea of the cup cozy.

    ReplyDelete