Welcome, and thanks for visiting. I have to keep my creative juices flowing, so these are some of my creations!
If you are a miniature or fairy garden enthusiast, like I am, please visit my Facebook page, Away With The Fairies, for ideas and inspiration.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Guest room update

This is our second guest bedroom I've been working on.  (Here's the other one)  I collected old frames from thrift shops, and the "art" is a mix of recycled old wallpaper books, paint chips, free online downloads, recycled buttons, and an old square canvas I just painted over.  The 2 blue cushions were on sale for under $10, as were the plain cream and brown cushion covers, which I appliqued afterwards using fabric scraps from my stash.  I used felt and my Cuttlebug to die cut the 6 little birds on the dark cushion.  The perfectly matched floral/patterned cushion cover I made from a remnant of fabric I found.  The bedside tables were old wooden ones that were sanded and spray painted matte silver.  It was such fun making all the odds and ends, and although I didn't tally up the costs, I'm sure the whole wall and cushion revamp was less than $50.00.  Happy happy happy!
This is the "before":
And these are the "afters":
Wallpaper and paint chips birds.
Free music downloads, painted branch, and bird cut from wallpaper sample.
An old canvas repainted and sponged, and the birds were stencilled.  (Got the idea online somewhere.  Not sure where so no link, sorry.)
Ah, all those buttons I collect ... always very useful!  An old repurposed embroidery hoop covered with burlap and the buttons were hot-glued onto a roughly drawn bird shape.  The branch is brown embroidery floss.
More buttons!  The bird shapes are felt cut from a die-cut on my Cuttlebug and Steam A Seam used to adhere them to the fabric, then the buttons were sewn on.
Appliqued birds on a wire.  (Another idea seen on a craft blog somewhere.)

So, what do you think of my bird/bedroom?
OK, just one more with my interior design consultant in the foreground, helping.  Thank you Boris!  I couldn't have done it without you!

7 comments:

  1. Hi! Tilly, your room transformation is amazing..you should go on TV..changing rooms. Gorgeous art work and the bed looks beautiful..how multi talented are you...so much to take in..the pillows are lovely with the birds..very, vety smart...love Boris too..
    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! Birdies are the best! I think my favourite is the piece with the music notation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely birdie room. Your ideas are really great. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tilly! You are so talented - love the idea of using up what you have and bargain hunting. Love the bird theme and the colours are fabulous.
    Hire out your services, you could make a fortune....lol
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tilly

    I am also Bird (and cage) crazy. I love your Birdroom decorations - I think I will try something similar for my family room. What brilliant ideas you have!
    Regards
    Yvonne (Hellyar)from RSA Group

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous Tilly. I need to do some artwork on the wall above our bed as I am tired of our pictures, thanks for the inspiration!
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the cat mention, Tilly, also birds and room look fab too....cheers, anna

    ReplyDelete