Welcome, and thanks for visiting. I have to keep my creative juices flowing, so these are some of my creations!
If you are a miniature or fairy garden enthusiast, like I am, please visit my Facebook page, Away With The Fairies, for ideas and inspiration.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Tassel scarf

I've been making tassels using cheap embroidery floss, and am loving how this easy scarf turned out.  It's just a length of silky soft fabric with colourful tassels on both ends.  I ripped the fabric edges and pulled off a few of the threads so that the edges would be a bit fluffy too.  I used large holded beads on my tassels as they give a bit of weight to the scarf and allow the tassels to hang more evenly.  I like the colour combos too.  This scarf will match with just about anything in my wardrobe, and looks especially great with denim.  There's a tutorial here on how to make the tassels, but it's a simple process and you get 4 x tassels out of each skein of embroidery floss (2 from each end - I split mine - but if you want bulky tassels, then use the whole end of the skein).  I threaded the "holding" thread (a few strands of floss that goes through the looped end of the floss) onto a large eyed needle and pushed it through the fabric about 1.5 cm (1/2") up from the edge, folded the remaining 1.5 cm over and sewed along the fabric close to the edge, so that the ends on the "inside" (i.e. the loose ends, not the tassel ends) were held firmly in place.  I then trimmed the ends so that they would be hidden (approx 3/4 cm), pinned the hem and did 2 more rows of sewing to keep everything neat and tidy and in place.   On a lightweight summery scarf I'd leave off the beads on the tassels for a more "floaty" effect. Now I must stop crafting and carry on packing!  Our house is sold and we move out at the end of the month - big panic!


And while I'm here, take some ooh and aah time to see our beautiful little granddaughter, Ruby, born last week to our son and his wife, and a little sister for Harper, who is now 4.  Isn't she precious?  She looks like a pixie from one of my fairy gardens!



7 comments:

  1. Que bien te han quedado las borlas de la bufanda,le aportan color y luminosidad!!!!
    La pequeña duendecilla Ruby es preciosa!!! felicidades a toda la familia!!!!!!
    Buena mudanza!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here from Pinterest and have to say that baby is absolutely darling! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Zealand is so beautiful - haven't been to your town but your wee farm looks great! And look at that baby's hair!!! Here from pinterest too and I love the idea of adding beads as you did. Tnx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Zealand is so beautiful - haven't been to your town but your wee farm looks great! And look at that baby's hair!!! Here from pinterest too and I love the idea of adding beads as you did. Tnx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your pictures and the original way you have put your story across - you're an inspiration and I am following your journey - awesome work! And a very cute little baby!

    ReplyDelete